Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Day 9 of Senior Year

On my ninth day of senior year I dropped 2 classes (after adding them late) then added  SMP  back. Knowing I was super behind, I met with the professor in the morning chatting about what I missed. When we finished the conversation I was still apart of the class. Ten minutes before SMP was supposed to start I talked to some of my friends about it and thought "I would much rather be in this other class." So I went to the prof. and said,  "I'm dropping SMP  because I heard it's hard." 
She responded with a smile on her face telling me that it's definitely not an "easy A," but I was vary brave for telling her face to face. 

I didn't see this act as brave. I saw it as common courtesy. However this lady and I had formed a relationship. One that deserved the respect of an actual conversation.  

Today a lot of our relationships happen via phone, web, etc. because it's easier. We as a society are so consumed with the technology in front of us that we forget the human emotions. Had I strictly e-mailed my professor, I would not have had the dilemma to drop it in the first place. Yes, I wanted the easier 'A' but I also wanted to continue the relationship we formed. In doing so and after finding out this other class was full, I went to my new found mentor and explained the situation. We shared a laugh and things were just as well.  

While I was leaving I thought to myself how mad this lady (who before today I didn't know) would have been if these interactions would have been through technology. I too would have been frustrated. The power of a friendly conversation can offer more than words. So next time you need to talk about a concern you have in a class, go to your professor. They will appreciate it more, and your grades will too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment